[TowerTalk] Match Box & Tuner Handbook--All Kinds

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 02:16:01 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/00 10:47:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rbigg@pcola.gulf.net writes:
<< Please keep me posted on status of your intended book.  I want to buy one
as
 soon as they are available.  73 de Ron, K5BDJ

   Ron: Since you were the first Post after my announcement of my Tuner
Handbook, I will award you a Free Autographed Copy and any question on tuners
you might have that I could answer, please call on me at any time.  I like
hams with aggressive thinking and know where to go to get answers.  We may
start a "Tuner/Open Wire Line Revolution".  There isn't much tuner info out
there.  I should like to point out that the book with show also how to
eliminate the tuner even with open wire line in many applications.  I have an
80M horizontally oriented quad loop 20' high that is used on 1.8-2 MHz with a
1/4 WL open wire line using only a BC variable 3 gang Xc and a Mobile
Unbalanced to Unbalanced Unun (I guess it would be called) in one leg only,
to match the resistive Rr load after the variable Xc over the band.  This is
great bandwidth on 160M.  Double + on 75M.  Translation: You don't always
need a big tuner or even the Unun.  Awesome!  I predict this simple technique
will "rise to power or acceptance" in use even though some can't figure it
out.  It involves the most simple and elementary of matching concepts there
are that has evaded ham radio experimenters for a long time.

I described one example on TT a couple of times I've used that is so unique
you have to see it in action to believe it is actually doing what it
does--which the debunkers and disinformation types refuse to even try.  It
will be in the book with all the theory and simple techniques they didn't
know how to handle.  If you are "cleared for secret" and not over loaded with
theory I could be persuaded to pass on some highly guarded secrets (actually
I couldn't hardly give them away) before publication.  There is one other
requirement. You must have "Advancing the State of the Art" as your primary
Ham Goal and one who likes to check things out before forming a final
trashing.  With these traits you are "Officially Cleared for Progress"and
will be on one of my information lists I will keep informed--that some don't
think don't work.

I got my old call "W Zero Lice Mice & Bedbugs" call back as the SD Antenna
Club so I could keep K7GCO and "GCO-Debunkers".  I'll have some kind of a Web
and Information Sight for Aggressive and Competitive Hams who like the
challenge of putting the strongest signal into all receivers he can--with
open wire line.  Coax will be used to the tuner.  It's a great sport with the
right equipment, techniques (I've tried just about everything) and that has
been very hard to find for some time for many since Art Collins came up with
the Band Switching Pi Network.  It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

I will have great photography of the tuners as I have Hasselblads, 4x5 and
8X10 cameras and know how to use them, I use special films and do my own
enlarging.  I will show the 1/4" open wires line that is in the shape if a
sine wave.  Would you believe I was running high power with a 12:1 SWR and it
took that shape?

I guess I'll have to award you the "K7GCO Most Aggressive, Competitive and
Receptive Ham Award".  Congratulations!  Remember I will also have the 2nd
book "How Not To Use the Match Box" and am devoting the 1st 10 chapters to
the debunkers, their disinformation and their math.  (I'm also taking bribes
not to print it hi.)  Tuner progress must not be stopped.   K7GCO

In a message dated 10/7/00 5:59:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, feutz@wctc.net
writes:
 > The 275 AM model will take 600W SSB on 10M and perhaps more on the lower
 > frequencies.

 When I was younger and stupider, I ran 1500W, from an L4-B, thru a 275
 matchbox to an 80M dipole with 300 ohm feed, mostly on 75 but I think it
 handled the other bands too.  You could fry eggs on it after a while,
 but it never arced or melted anything.

 I still have it, although it is in need of a rehab.  Look forward to
 your book.   Ron - WA9IRV

Ron:  You were Aggressive Ham #2.  OK on your success with the 275W version.
You did push it a bit hard. You gave me the idea of adding a Temperature
Thermocouple to warn of an improper match even with 1:1 SWR.  QRP types
should test a tuner with a KW and check for a temperature rise. That could be
say a dB or so on a bad match and at 5 W you can't spare that or would even
know about it.  The taps are fixed and it's not always the right tap.  It
shows how versatile the MB is.  I will give 1/4 & 1/2 wave lengths that will
give resistive loads you can depend on and match.

Remember the "K7GCO Tuner Law of Basic Matching 101":
           "If the tuner is properly adjusted provides a 1:1 SWR without any
heating,
            maximum power is transferred to the input of the feedline. There
is one
           exception and I will describe how to recognize and correct that in
the book."

For inspiring this great idea you will get the #2 Free Autographed copy of my
Tuner Handbook.  The MB gets no respect except from those who know how to use
it.  I knew if it worked for me it would work for many others.  I sure have
been getting all kinds of "Great Success Stories" on the MB recently--only 2
debunkers.  I knew I'd smoke them out and that is one reason I defended the
MB from unjustified negative reports.  Even Apple Pie gets a bad rap at
times.  Anyone else who inspires a design or improvement idea will receive a
book and credit also.

The Lone MB Defender.  K7GCO