[TowerTalk] X-9, etc. assembly

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:40:20 EDT

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    Recently someone asked about any problems with a Cushcraft X-9 assembly.
This was sent to me privately so the person that asked the question didn't
get it and neither did the reflector so I'm sending it out for everyone's
benefit. Some good tips for any antenna assembly. Tnx, Glenn!

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC

>>   > I have a Cushcraft X-9 to assemble next week.
 > I have heard general comments that the assembly instructions are
 > brief/incomplete and the parts not all clearly marked.[ and it is easy
 > to assemble a couple of things wrong and to conclude parts are missing]
 >
 > Would those who have been thru this experience please give me some input
 > on specific areas/problems to expect?

Hi Steve,

I have put up several X-9's and about 12 X-7's

I have no idea who told you that the instructions are less an great, but
the truth is they are simple and easy to follow. The biggest problem with
assembling large yagi antennas is that people do not plan,  get organized
or they  try to skip steps or do steps out of order.  My recommendation to
you  is as follows;

1.  Get a permanent black fine point marker.

2.  Buy a tube of Annox or any other CU/AL conductivity past grease  (Home
Depot)

3.   Read the instructions

4.      Get a good 3/4 wide tape measure 16 ft  minimum 25 feet is better. A
!/2 inch tape will do if someone is going to help you.

5.      Get a box of large freezer bags.

6.  Reread the instructions

7.  Take all of the parts out of the box and un nest all of the various
tubes. Do not open any bags.

8.   Starting at the first section of the manual  identify all of the boom
parts by measuring them and mark them with the marker in a position that
will not be covered when the parts are assembled.  Mark them in a manner
that will result in  part AA being next to part AB etc.Do not worry about
the bolts end caps etc. at this time. Place the identified parts in a
separate pile and mark a sheet of paper boom.

9.   Repeat this process for each element of the antenna keeping  each
element in separate piles.

10.      When all of the marking is done you should have 10 piles and about 3
or 4 bags of hardware.

11.     Measure every piece for Length and Diameter mark it and measure it
again.

12. Reread step 11.

13.  Once the tubing and loose parts are identified and in the correct
piles go back to the start of the manual  and for each step identify the
hardware needed for each pile

14. Open the plastic parts bags and separate all of the parts in to piles
of the same type of hardware. Place these items in freezer bags and mark
the bag with the part number and description. double check the stainless
steel hose clamps a magnifying glass will be great help reading the size
data. Get them right and the rest of the job will be a piece of cake get
them mixed up I guarantee you will be an unhappy camper with no one to
black but your self for taking short cuts.

15.  Now that everything is identified gather up your  following tools.
good wrenches are a good investment if you do not have any go to sears or
home depot. a 1/4 inch socket set is necessary to tighten clamps and small
bolts. Do not over tighten clamps. However you can not get them tight
enough with just a screw driver.

16. Start assembly. Make sure that all tubes are coated with Annox before
joining . Annox should be put on every bolt it will stop the galling of
stainless to  stainless or stainless to aluminum connections. All
measurements required to get correct element lengths should be measured
twice and the  permanent marker used to mark the correct length. This will
also help in applying the Annox over the  tube to be inserted. When two
Tubes are joined rotate them together to ensure Annox is spread over both
the inside and outside of the two tubes. ( you will thank me if you ever
have to take the antenna down.)

17.  Do not rush the job. Do it in three sessions one to identify the parts
and hardware the second to assemble the individual elements and the third
session to join them all together. Take your time once you have the X9
together double check all the fasteners and hose clamps double check over
all element lengths one last time.   I recommend you set up the antenna for
CW you will find it works refine on SSB  set it for SSB and you will have a
great antenna for operation outside the top end of the bands

I have built a lot of big beams over the years and this is the best all
round commercial yagi I have ever owned. I work at the Communications
Research Centre here in Ottawa and I have seen and worked on and
tested  all of the currently available  HF antennas. If you have any
questions  just send it along.

73

Glenn VE3GLN / VA3ZL ( ex VO1DV, VE3MPR )

613-746-3776

VE3GLN@RAC.CA
    OR
Glenn.McLeod@CRC.CA >>