[TowerTalk] HyGain Rotor

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:49:45 -0400

At 01:55 AM 10/13/00 -0700, Rick Conners  WA7ND wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can purchase a new Ham-5 Rotor with the DCU-1
>Controller.
>
>From what various dealers are telling me, I should not hold my breath...if
>this is the case, how does the Yaesu G1000DXA stack up?

Nicely, IMO.  Key improvements over the Ham-V:
450 degree rotation
much nicer controller with preset
self-centering mast clamps (do not have to be shimmed for smaller masts
lighter rotator
good durability (my G-1000DX has been turning a 2-el 40 and a C-3 for 5
years so far... the DXA is the CE-certified version with a 6-wire cable)

You do have to be careful with the mast clamps -- tightening them in the
proper order -- because they are cast and will break if bent in the
tightening process.  Also, the connector used on the control box end of the
rotator cable is a crummy thing --crimp-on -- that needs to be attached to
the cable just right...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database