[TowerTalk] g5rv

rb rbigg@pcola.gulf.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:25:27 -0500

OK, guys.  Yes, there is misunderstanding.  The problem is that some of us
are familiar with the basic G5RV, while others have used the MFJ G5RV.  The
difference is that the MFJ G5RV (sort of) gives us 160m capability.  So, the
discussion to this point has been apples and oranges.

My MFJ manual tells us to do the following to use the G5RV on 160m:

a.  Disconnect the coax antenna feedline from the tuner.  Then, there are
two options:

    1.  Use the antenna coax feedline center conductor as a feed, with the
braid grounded and connected to radials.
    2.  Jump the braid to the center conductor in the antenna coax feedline.
This essentially makes the whole thing a single wire feed to a horizontal
element.
    3.  Establish a good ground and radials

Well, what this does is basically give us a top loaded vertical Marconi type
thing on 160.  It works, and I'm reasonably sure that single upward feedline
does quite a bit of radiating.

The rest of the G5RV bands are conventional horizontal radiators.

73 de Ron, K5BDJ