[TowerTalk] MFJ 259B

Madison Jones w5mj@hal-pc.org
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:52:17 -0000

What's the fuss?  The 259 is pretty big anyway, so I tossed the crummy
battery box and velcroed a 2 ah 12 v camcorder battery to the side of the
critter, and it will leave the Eveready bunny in the dust.  I charge my
battery once a year, whether it needs it or not (and it hasn't needed it, I
don't think).

I can attest to the interference from the broadcast bands.  I gave up trying
to tune a 160 dipole which was at 90' abt 5 miles from a strong good-time
radio station.  The AEA analyzer did it OK, and did not seem to be affected
by the BC.  Other than that, the 259 is a first rate device.

Regards,

Madison
----- Original Message -----
From: <K3BU@aol.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259B

In a message dated 10/20/2000 11:20:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kc5ajx@hotmail.com writes:

> I have a MFJ 249 and a 259B both work great no problems with either one.
The
>  only complaint I have is removing all those little screws when I need to
>  change the batteries, with the 259B you can use nicads and  and charge
them
>  inside the unit from your 12v dc power supply.

Same here, plus the stupid pushbutton power on switch, that gets depressed
when you don't want it to, by the time you get to the top of the tower,
batteries are dead :-)
When you carry that thing in a pocket or pouch, you are bound to depress
power on.
Otherwise it is a neato gadget!

MFJ and W8JI: please change that to rotary switch with knob or add it to the
band switch! (Unless you have a stock in battery companies).
New model in lieu of suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Yuri, K3BU