[TowerTalk] XM240 vs 40-2CD Observations

Earl Dery Earl_Dery@mindlink.bc.ca
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:11:43 -0700

These observations between the two Cushcraft are preliminary as the XM240
has only been up a couple of days and the 40-2CD it replaced was up for
several years.

Reason for replacement was 40-2CD elements got bent in a bad wind storm a
couple of years ago, althuogh it still seem to play not too bad.

Height of Antenna is about 140 ft.

Mechanical differences are such that the XM240 is vastly superior in
construction than the 40-2CD.
1)Larger boom 2.5" compared to 2.0"
2)Elements are heavily re-enforced.
3)Mounting of element to boom much better as is the boom to mast mount.

Operating characteristics are fairly close I think although the XM240 is a
little flatter across the band and also covers a little more of the band
than the 40-2CD did.

I used the same measurements that I used used on the old 40-2CD which puts
it resonate point around 7080 or there abouts. The XM240 has lower SWR down
to the bottom of the band than the 40-2CD did and allows me to go higher in
the band before you hit the 2:1 SWR point which of course doesn't mean that
much with todays Radio's with thier built in Tuners.

Amyway last night I worked Pekka OH1RY at EA8AH/EA8BH and was pleased with
that then the K5K boys came on forty and I worked them no problem(from
Westcoast Shouldn't be).

73 Earl VE7IN