[TowerTalk] What's a "Good Grounding System"??

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:38:20 -0400

Hello Jerry,

Place about 20' of #8 wire coiled up horizontally about 3" from the
bottom of the concrete in the hole -- attach this to a ground rod in
the bottom of the hole.  This is a Ufer ground.

Place one ground on each tower leg.  Use #4 copper wire from each
ground clamp, extending 8' to an 8' copper clad ground rod.  Make sure
that there is no less than 16' between ground rods.  Also make sure
that the ground wires do not have a radius less than 2', and that the
clamp on the tower leg is well ABOVE the clamp to the ground rod.  In
other words, make sure that the path from the tower has no sharp radii
and that the direction of travel is always easily DOWN, not horizontal
or up.  I like to coat the actual connection of the #4 wire and the
ground clamp screw with GE silicone to insure that there is no
corrosion or dirt over time.  Be sure you tighten the ground clamp
screw very tightly, perhaps "mashing" the copper wire a bit to make
sure you have a really good connection.  I've even used channel locks
to flatten the copper wire a bit before making the connection.

If it's possible, attach the ground wire from all shack equipment to a
ground buss, and use the same rules for taking a line from the ground
buss out of the shack to a ground rod, preferably one the tower ground
rods.  I personally use #4 copper wire from a ground buss or bar made
of 1/4" x 1" solid copper.  I drill holes in the bar every 3" for
bolts and bolt (using wing nuts for easy connections) each #12
multistrand wire to a piece of equipment.  I even ground switches
separately, drilling and bolting if there are no ground connections on
the switch as manufactured.

It's also a good idea to use a ground buss for all your antenna &
rotor cable connections, grounding the buss with #4 copper wire as
well.

Please note, all #4 copper wire is SOLID COPPER, not multistrand
wire.

Fore much better descriptions, see the Polyphaser manual on grounding
at http://www.polyphaser.com/

Hope this helps.

73's from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!