[TowerTalk] What's a "Good Grounding System"??

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:37:46 -0400

Hello Jerry,

Just a postscript to my previous on tower grounding.  I wasn't able to
make a Ufer ground on my tower (base put in last week).  I did make
about four connections using clamps to various places on the rebar
cage.  Next I used #4 solid copper from each clamp to a 6' copper clad
ground rod placed in the very bottom of the hole.  I made sure that
all the "wire ties" used to tie the horizontal rebar to the vertical
rebars were tight so there would be a good connection.  The best
situation would be to weld the connections but that's not practical.
I've read a bit on this and even Polyphaser says that most of the time
the wire ties make a sufficient connection.   Lastly, I also put a
clamp on each tower leg rebar and ran #4 solid copper to the same
ground rod in the bottom of the hole.  My tower base hole was 14' deep
as it was on the side of a hill, and was 4' in diameter.

Sorry to add this after the fact.

I've attached pictures of the base next to the home I'm building. I
don't think the list will pass the pictures on (not sure why!?) but
you'll have it.  The angled room with all the picture windows is the
"shack".

73's from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!