[TowerTalk] Orion 2800DC idicator is off

Greg Clark k9ig@contesting.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:34:08 -0500

Folks

I have an Orion 2800DC that I'm having a problem with.  I am continually seeing
that the position of the rotor/antenna is not what is being displayed in the
shack at the controller.  For instance, if I have the rotor/antenna setup for
90 degrees, and I want to turn it to 270, the controller indicates the proper
position but the antenna may only be at 320.

I see no consistancy...eg. always off by 30 degrees.  It varies.  It seems that
the controller/indicator takes off but does not energize the motor when the
CW or CCW button is depressed.  Pulses from the rotor back to the controller
are being lost somewhere.

I was on the tower the other day and had my daughter move the antenna from 90
to 270....she pressed the button and the controller indicated about 20 degrees
of movement before the rotor actually started to move.

Per M2, I shipped the rotor and controller back to them and they found a bad
MOV and pinched wires in the rotor pig-tail and sent it back.  I dropped it
in the tower last night with the same results that got it sent to the factory.

Per M2 I have by-passed my Polyphasor box, with the same results.  Last night,
I pulled the rotor cable and re-worked the connector to the rotor....I've not
tried it yet.

My run of cable from the shack to the rotor is about 200ft.  It's 18 and 16
awg wire, single run, no splices except for the Polyphasor box.  I have paralled
two wires for each of the motor connections (terms 1 and 2) but have only one
wire  going to each of the reed relay terminals (terms 5 and 6).

M2 is still trying to help but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this
and resolved it.

Thanks

Greg
K9IG