[TowerTalk] homebrew maststeps with pix link. DE K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:09:37 -0500

We were talking about mast steps a while back and now I can show pictures of
how I did it. To describe them briefly, I used a 3/4" waterpipe "nipple"
which is 12" long, and put a cap on each end . This is the step and the caps
keep your foot from slipping off.
To attach the step to the mast, I use a saddle from an old Mosley antenna
and a stainless steel U bolt. The nuts are the type sold in hardware stores
to connect threaded rod sections together, and are easier to handle/harder
to drop on the towertop than a regular nut. I feel better having all that
thread on there too, but it probably doesn't actually make it stronger. You
can actually hand tighten them if a temporary mount is contemplated.

I made up 7 of these, and they work great.

Of course you should always take the usual precautions when climbing any
tower or mast.

The pictures are located here (in order not to jam up the reflector):

Complete unit: http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/maststep1.jpeg

Parts exploded view http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF/maststep2.jpeg