[TowerTalk] FCC RF Safety Regs Info Sept 1

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:44:55 -0400

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:46:39 -1000 "Jim Reid" <kh7m@hsa-kauai.net> writes:

> Chip N1IR wrote,  in part:
>
> > I have serious concerns about the 'dummy' compliance
> > calculators that are  making the rounds.
>
> Is this the calculator of which you have concern,  Chip?
>
> http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/
>
> 73,  Jim,  KH7M

Gentlemen:

	While it is true that the N5XU calculator is what Chip says it is -- a
worst case, you may legitimately make your case better.

You may reduce average power to the antenna by:

Feed line loss (see Hare, Figure 5.6 then Figure 5.2)
Connector loss (if VHF or UHF)
Duty factor (see Hare, Figure 5.4, generally 40%), and
Time (generally, you multiply power by .67 for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes
off, and 10 minutes on  -- a 50% duty-cycle during the 30 minute test
period).

Calculate distance to the area of interest by including the trigonometry
(Hare, Figure 5.9)

References are to the Hare book published by the ARRL.

Fred Hopengarten K1VR
hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.