[TowerTalk] RF safety regulations

Tom Frenaye frenaye@pcnet.com
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:56:17 -0400

At the risk of prolonging the debate about the FCC's RF safety regulations
requiring you to do calculations to make sure your station operates within
the safety limits they've defined, there were some comments made by several
people that need to be corrected.

"Thanks ARRL" was one comment, suggesting that the ARRL is to "blame" for
the present rules.   While it may be fun to kick sand at the ARRL from time
to time (and we've all done it), it's much more effective to do it when
you've got your facts straight and when you do it in an effective way.   In
this case those comments were not accurate - and a few people were engaging
in the "time honored" tradition of shooting the messenger.

The FCC's present RF safety regulations were based on revised standards
created by the IEEE in 1991.   FCC docket 93-142 (in 1993) was the first
step in reviewing the new standards.   It's fun to "blame" politicians of
any political party for things, but this wasn't a Democratic or Republican
party issue.   For the most part, Congress doesn't understand technical
issues like this and it's probably very good that they don't try to.   A
fairly complete report of the history of the FCC RF safety rules changes
was printed in January 1997 QST and is also published on the ARRL web site at:

	 http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/exposure_regs.html

In ARRL's comments to the FCC on this issue we asked that Amateur Radio be
exempted from the regulations.   By the way, the FCC RF safety rules cover
all radio services, not just Amateur Radio.   A couple of the reasons we
asked for an exemption were that the characteristics of Amateur Radio on
the air operating were that it has a low duty cycle, and that because of
the technical nature of Amateur Radio, we had the technical training to
understand RF safety issues.   The FCC chose not to exempt us but did
reduce the limits, and also extended the deadline for
implementation.    What would have happened without ARRL involvement?

In the end we have some fairly simple ways to calculate worst case
scenarios, and for the most part 95% or more of us always operate in ways
that present no problems under the limits the FCC has established.   Yes,
we do have to do the calculations, and there are additional questions on
Amateur Radio exams regarding RF safety.   Even more, as K1VR noted, we now
have a very clear way to deal with worrisome neighbors or town zoning
boards - we can present the calculations for proposed (or existing)
antennas and say to them that they are in accordance with all federal rules
on RF safety.   You can get the necessary information for free on the ARRL
web site (or buy an even more complete book with extensive
information).    What would have happened without ARRL involvement?

So back to the message that started this discussion (and RF safety is a
really good topic for this reflector, though the bickering, personal
attacks and incorrect information isn't helpful).  The FCC's deadline
requiring all of us (in the USA) to perform those RF safety calculations
was September 1st.   This isn't a new issue, the present FCC RF safety
rules and this deadline have been in place for several years.   The ARRL
has actively participated in filing comments with the FCC as opportunities
were presented.   I think it's a good thing that ARRL got the word out (in
50,000+ copies of the ARRL Letter e-mailed this week, along with messages
posted to reflectors).   It isn't the FCC that is telling you about the
deadline, but they did establish the rules.   What would have happened
without ARRL involvement?

Hope I've made a couple of useful points.   Since more than 90% of the
people on this reflector are ARRL members (see below), I couldn't let some
incorrect information about the ARRL go by when we've done what I think are
the right things on this issue all along.
					73 -- Tom

Note: The last 62 messages posted on this reflector were from 38 different
people (two non-USA).  Of the 36 from the USA, 33 are current ARRL members
(92%), two are previous members and one has never been a member.   Of the
33 who are ARRL members, seven are Life Members.
e-mail: k1ki@arrl.org   ARRL New England Division
Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444