[TowerTalk] static busters

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:10:37 -0600

N4KG  responses  placed after related subject line.

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000  alsopb <alsopb@gloryroad.net> writes:

> Jerry K0CQ, brought up an interesting topic of how to deal with
> static crashes.
>
> I can't talk much about SSB but for CW the following measures seem
> to> help here.
>
> 0) Forget speakers, use earphones.    AMEN !
>
> 1) Put in as much attenuation as you can.  This will keep the AGC
> circuit from going crazy.  If you don't have attenuation buttons turn
> down the RF gain. I've used as much as 30db of attenuation at times
> on 160M.

	YEP.  You don't want the NOISE controling your AGC.
	I usually just reduce my RF gain control.  N4KG

> 2) Use the narrowest possible filters -- both IF and AF.  You may
> have to diddle with filter width combinations till you find one which
> is optimum.

	Narrow is NOT always better.  Narrow filters typically ring.
	N4KG
> I find using the  slope tuning controls on the TS850 in combination
> with the narrow filters to be quite useful in copying through the QRN.

	YES indeed.  One of my TS-830's has a 300 Hz CW
	and 1.8 KHz SSB filter (at 8.8 MHz).  99% of the time
	I use the SSB filters with the VBT cranked to minimum
	bandwidth.  Yes, you hear off to the sides but it is MUCH
	easier on your ears, especially when trying to copy weak
	CW stations in the noise, and there is NO ringing. N4KG

> 3) On 160/80/40 Beverage antennas or other "low noise" antennas can
> improve the S/N ratio.

	Of course.  N4KG

> 4) Ask the other guy to QRS.   (Good Luck :-)
>
> 5) Position your directional antenna to reject as much noise as
> possible but still maintain a readable desired signal.

	Run out and rotate your Beverage :-0 ?
	That's why I have 7 Beverages.  N4KG

> 6) Listen to a low CW note. It makes a huge difference trying
> to  copy a 1KHz tone thought the noise versus a 500 Hz note.
> I don't exactly know why.

	Old time CW operator's trick.  I usually listen to
	300 Hz.  Sometimes even lower. I'll take my old
	TS-830's with adjustible everything vs. newer radios
	which won't allow me to listen below 400 Hz. N4KG

> 7) Put the earphones on your neck instead of on your ears.
> Sometimes this does the trick.  Those old time CW ops who
> monitored the 500KHz  distress frequency found this to be an
> effective way to save ears  but still copy.

	Interesting idea.  I have noticed that sometimes I
	can copy down the hall or in another room better
	than in the radio room when the speaker is on.
	W4KFC made a similar comment years ago. N4KG

> 8) Pull the plug.      (Last resort)
>
> I don't claim ownership of any of these.  I learned them through
> others.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.