[TowerTalk] 2-Piece N Connector Question

R. Otto R. Otto" <N8NGA@one.net
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:49:46 -0400

Hello dick,

Speaking of N connectors, why would someone use them instead of pl259
connectors?  I noticed that many antennas come with either connector,
and in the case of the Diamond H700, you can only get it with an N
connector.  Is one better than the other??

73's from.......

R. Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!

dpc> 6 SEP, 2000 - 1400 CDT

dpc> Hello Kermit...

dpc> I am attempting to install the 2-piece silver-plated N connectors on
dpc> 9913-F (flexible) coaxial cable.  This is my first experience with
dpc> either of these particular items.  I have installed lots of the older,
dpc> multi-piece N connectors on 9913 cable.

dpc> Does anyone know of any particular installation techniques for these
dpc> connectors?  After I tin the cable braid (as per instructions), and try
dpc> to screw on the inner connector body, the *&^!@! braid gets pushed
dpc> away from the body into the PVC jacket leaving only the inner polyethlyne
dpc> jacket and fragments of aluminum foil to solder to.  I spent two hours
dpc> last night trying to make this system work!  Not!

dpc> I may have to go back to the old style N connector.  But it does not
dpc> provide near the pull-out resistance as does the newer style.

dpc> Any suggestions?

dpc> 73 - Dick Isely, W9GIG
dpc>       dick@pobox.com

dpc> --