[TowerTalk] KT34-A elements to insulators assembly question

David Rich kg0us@swbell.net
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 22:46:09 -0500

Hello,

I purchased a new KT34-A about a year and a half ago.  I now have a
tower and I am assembling the KT34-A for the first time out of the box.
I have reached the point where I am mounting the element sections to the
center lexan insulator.  The manual states "that the nuts are only
tightened until the lockwasher starts to close."  The manual states that
over tightening could result in insulator failure due to differences in
temperature coefficients between the steel screws and the lexan.  I am
tempted to tighten the nuts down further with my fingers and just a
socket because I am afraid that if I barely tighten as stated in the
manual that they will come loose over time.  Does anyone have any
experience with this subject?  Is it ok to just tighten the nut down
until the lockwasher just starts to close?  Will it hold up over time
without loosening?

Thank You,
Dave Rich kg0us@swbell.net

P.S.  The linear loading sections on the ends of the elements take a lot
more time to assemble than I expected.