[TowerTalk] Tram question.

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:55:51 -0600

Greg,

My solution to tramming to the mast is to keep the
tram line somewhat loose to prevent excessive tension.
The ground end is usually well beyond the guy anchors
so a little sag is not a problem.  I like to run the tram
line above one of the guys so that the other two guys
are running away from the tower / antenna, giving me
a little more room to play with.  Also, my top guys are
4 to 7 ft below the tops of my towers to make for
ease of instillation. I don't have stacked antennas on my
masts (except for a light 10M beam above a 15M beam).

I use 1/2 inch nylon rope which also stretches somewhat
under load.  The tram line is attached 2 or 3  feet above
the top of the tower and the pull-up pulley is attached
a few inches above the tram line.

This has worked well for installing 50 to 80 lb. antennas
such as TH6, TH7, Telrex 3L20, CC 4L15, and 5L10's.
A back guy is a good safety precaution but I've never
bent a mast, not even the 1.5 inch mast that carries
my TH6 six inches above an 80 ft TV tower.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.