[TowerTalk] 80-75M Inverted Vee or Dipole

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:17:22 -0400

From:           	K7GCO@aol.com
Date sent:      	Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:58:22 EDT
Subject:        	[TowerTalk] 80-75M Inverted Vee or Dipole
To:             	towertalk@contesting.com

> Let me drag you all kicking a screaming back to the last Century.
> 1.) Cut an Inverted vee or dipole (no bow tie needed) for 1/2 WL at 3.6
> MHz.  2.) Connect 136' of open wire line (121.6' 450 ladded line).  This
> really works
>      great on 160M also but the feedline is twice as long.

I assume on 160 the dipole length is doubled also?

> 3.) Short out feedline and grid dip to 3.6 MHz.

By trimming the feedline?

> 4.) Connect one feedline wire to center of coax switch or directly to rig.
> 5.) Connect other feedline wire to stator of BC 3 gang variable all tied
> together. 6.) Connect rotor frame to coax switch or rig ground.

How do you make the antenna go below 3.6 MHz, with only a
series capacitor, if the antenna and feedline is resonant on 3.6?

I understand how a series capacitor will cancel inductive reactance
as frequency is increased, but how does it cancel capacitive
reactance when you move below 3.6?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com