[TowerTalk] 80-75M Inverted Vee or Dipole

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:51:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/00 1:05:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:

<<
 >      Coax is just a fad and it will die off.

 Yep, those guys who build cell phone towers are all wet.  They could
 be using open wire line and save mucho bucks.  I wonder why they
 didn't think of it?  Could it be that
 they actually did some engineering instead of listening to preachers?

 73 de Brian/K3KO

Brian:  Coax actually has it's applications at Cell frequencies.  My
references were mostly for ham frequencies and many in Europe are using open
wire line for 6M, VHF&UHF as I have with less loss than with coax.  I'd
suggest you do you RF home work before you preach with RF at the antenna
measuements.  I had one feed system on 20M of 120' using open wire line and a
tuner at had 750W into the link of the tuner, open wire line to a 16 ohm 3
element beam (2-1/4 wave step down from 450 ohm) and had 700W measured at the
antenna--to win a bet.  That's .3 dB loss.  The coax cost with .3dB loss here
is more than you can afford.  I got the wire and spacers FREE 54 year ago and
still have it.  I saved some money with good old fashioned ham engineering--I
didn't spend any--0 dB cost.  In the 30's we didn't have very much money to
spend on ham radio.  Some of us didn't have any for long peroids of time.
You made friends with BC Radio Engineers and did work for them.  I see no
reason to waste any now.

The 80/75M feedline configuration I described had less than .1dB loss over
the whole band.  As I said "dragging kicking a screaming hams into the last
century."   k7gco