[TowerTalk] Advice on Cushcraft 40 meter repair

Mark Pride/Bedford/IBM mpride@us.ibm.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:48:22 -0400

If there is nothing above the 40 M yagi on the mast, it is a simple matter
of securing the boom on a sling (ropes wrapped around the boom and secured
to the mast) so the antenna can pivot, rotate 90 degrees and tilt the
antenna element into the tower to reach the element tip location.  I would
mount a clamp (a boom to mast plate) to the mast a few feet above the
antenna boom, secure the boom with ropes (a 2 ft. length should be enough)
to allow the antenna boom to rotate, then tilt the antenna over.  Secure
the boom at the appropriate angle with another rope, then climb down the
tower to reach the element and re-install the element tip.  Given the fact
your antenna is only 1 ft above the tower, it might be nice to move it up
on the mast more to allow more pivot room.

The work becomes a bit more challenging if there are other yagis above or
below the subject antenna but can be navigated.

At my place, I had to fix an element very much the same way on my CC Shorty
40.  My 40 M yagi is about 6 ft. above a 6 element 10 M yagi.  When I
rotated the elements vertical, I had to then weave the subject element in
between the yagi below  in order to reach the right spot, down the tower.
Did this all by myself.

Good luck and stay safe!

Regards,

Mark, K1RX