[TowerTalk] Re: Rf Safety

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:42:01 EDT

 In a message dated 9/13/00 9:31:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:  <<
  Bill,

  Your conclusion is based upon assuming the algorithms used are
  meaningful.
  Given that they are pure fiction for the exposure impact, I have
  another
  explanation for the "predicted" safety of standing next to a 50 kW
  broadcast station antenna.

  The regs that were adopted made sure that they would not negatively
  impact Broadcasters by design.  If they did, you could be sure they
  would not have been adopted.
   73
  de Brian/K3KO
    Bill Turner wrote:

  > On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:06:08 -0400, Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:
  >
  > >It stands there today. 50 kW of power at 750 kHz day and night, in the
  > >middle of the parking lot for the mall. You can't get within about 50
  > >feet of the tower, because of a protective wall, but most of the shopping
  > >complex is within range of the guy wires.
  > >
  > >If that isn't an "uncontrolled" space, I don't know what is
  > 50 feet is plenty.  I did a quick check using the U of Texas RF safety
  > calculator for 50,000 watts, dipole type gain, 750 kHz and included
  > ground reflection (worst case).  They are well within compliance.
  > Only at 13.54 feet or less would they be out.  If the antenna gain
  > were increased to 6db, the uncontrolled distance rises to only 20.94
  > feet.
    > 73, Bill W7TI

 Even if the direct RF from this antenna was not a direct hazard, one could
get RF burns off some metal objects that close.  I have and with far less
power.  I prefer to avoid high levels of RFat 69 I can avoid.  If I ever get
a cell phone I'll have a mike extension just to be on the safe side.  Are all
these "safe field experts" willing to be sued if they are wrong?  RF fields
at 900 MHz right next to my head is one area where I like to wear a "belt and
suspenders" as a comparison.  Nutritional deficiencies and other diluted
poisons like Chlorine and Flourides often take around 30 years to develop.
K7GCO