[TowerTalk] (no subject)

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:59:42 EDT

 In a message dated 9/13/00 5:04:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, :<<
     This is a snow job.

      It illustrates how far from reality you have strayed-- Especially the
      remarks on rotary open wire joints.

*******You make statements about what I have used mechanically and
electrically without any knowledge whatsoever like one other totally
misinformed critic.  Just because you have no electrical or mechanical skills
to build simple things, don't assume others don't have them.  I also have a
lathe and mill I bought just to make antennas 40 years ago with greater
precision and trained my self how to use them.

     Any you are right I have never SUCCESSFULLY used open wire line.  It
     always had problems.  Mechanical, interaction and weathering (primarily
icing).

*******You just clearly illustrated what I just said, you destroyed and keep
digging your "Critic Credibility" into a deep hole.  When you can't do
something, ask questions how to do it from those who know how.  You haven't
done that yet and have even "burned your information bridges" by continually
criticizing those who can.

     Not only that you can't even get the components to make what you're
talking about.

*******Porcelin spacers are still found in the flee markets.  Delrin rod for
making spacers can be found in the Yellow pages under "Plastics".  It can
take the ultra violet rays of the sun.  Use 3/8" rod and cut in 6" lengths.
Drill snug holes 3/16" from the ends and secure on wire every 3' in the open
and 2' or so with turns with RTV silicone rubber.  Do you have a drill?  I
suggest a length of 136' or multiples for a variety of reasons.  It's a 1/2
wave at 3.562 and multiples above.  The VF will be about .98 with enameled
wire and lower with insulated wire requiring it to be shorted on one end and
grid dipped to 3.562 MHz.  Can you use a grid dip meter?  I think I already
know the answer.

The most available component in Ham Radio is wire.  Look for #12 enameled.
Why can't you find any?  I'll sell you some.  It's well broken in.

        Get with it.  Join the rest of the world and recogize the convenience
        and practicality of coax for most ham apps.

****** There is no law that says I have to use coax if I have a more
efficient system
I have the skills to assemble.  As I pointed out I do use a lot of coax and
combinations you don't even use.  I'll put up with some inconvenience and a
long life very inexpensive system for better performance.  Your horizons are
very limited in ham radio without mechanical, electrical and experimental
skills.  I have made spacers and even the entire feedline for others (without
open wire blinders) just for the cost of the Delrin.

*******There is a 75M vertical antenna system I just looked at in TT that had
500' open wire feedline with transformers on both ends with a measured loss
of .3 dB.  It will stay that way for years and is easy to repair if damaged
somehow.  You can't afford coax of the same loss that long.

******On the contrary--you have not been given a snow job.  I have been
trying to drag you back in this case to the last century kicking a screaming
to use techniques that have applications they do better and cheaper.  Your
thinking processes seem to be frozen and I have not been able to at least
warm them up when told what the "technical facts of ham radio" are in other
areas.  Please do some research into what others have before you bad mouth
it.  I respectively request you do not respond to my Posts in the
future--until at least you learn how to use open wire line.  I'd be happy to
hear from you then.  You screwed up.
.
********The 2 posts below show others can master the mechanical and
electrical applications.  WH6H even used the dual balanced coax line.  These
are highly advanced techniques over what you use.  It's time to get up to
speed.  I don't recommend wooden spacers even if boiled in wax.  k7gco

73 de Brian/K3KO

 In a message dated 9/13/00 11:40:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,