[TowerTalk] Open wire line convert

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:48:30 -0600

Just because open wire line isn't a viable solution for YOU
doesn't mean that it isn't a viable solution for OTHERS
and should be banned from existence as you seem to argue.

W1EVT, winner of the first 5BDXCC, uses 4 wire open wire
lines to run under the road and up the hill to his 19 towers
with 3 sets of stacked wire arrays (two half waves in phase
stacked every half wavelength) for every band.

Several of my dipoles are fed with ladderline and used
successfully on multiple bands.  I have no problem
with running the ladderline across my yard suspended
from tree limbs and guy wires.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000  <alsopb@gloryroad.net> writes:

> Guys,
>
> Given the strong arguments for open wire line presented here, I
> decided to convert all 9 antennas over to open wire line.
>
> Here's what I need to do:
>
> 1) Build 2500' of open wire line from readily available ceramic
> spacers and #12 wire
> 2) Build numerous 9:1 high power baulns
> 3) Build 36:1 high power baulns to match the beams
> 4) Build super reliable rotary joints for each beam
> 5) Sink 75 poles in the ground to attach the open wire line to and
> run
> it. Defoliate all
> the areas around the poles and runs so that nothing will grown into
> the line.
> 6) Figure out a way of lowering the HAZERs without destroying the
> line
> each time
> 7) Fabricate a huge number of standoffs.
> 8) Convert all coax switches to open wire switches
> 9) Convince the XYL that none of these things in any way detracts
> from
> the view
>    compared to buried feedlines lines.
>
> The benefits expressed here are obviously worth it.  Yea, right.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>
> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.