[TowerTalk] Grid dip meters

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 07:25:04 -0700

I also have found the 259 GD coil to be vy insensitive. I have used both
the ac powered and battery powered Millen GDO's to cut 1/4 wave stubs.
They work fairly well but there is a better way reccomended to me by
K5GW of Tx Towers. It is used by VHFers.I understand he used it to make
the stubs in his 2m moonbounce array. I believe it is 48 each 10 element
yagis.
  Screw a T connector into your dummy load. Connect your xctr thru a
good SWR meter to one side of the T. Apply power and you should see no
reflected power. Connect your 1/4 wave shorted stub to the other side of
the T and adjust freq until you get the same zero reflected power. That
is the resonant frequency of the stub.
  I have had good results using a needle to punch thru the coax shield
to the center conductor to find the right location to cut and solder the
short. This works, of course, because the input Z of a shorted 1/4 wave
line is near infinite. You can make 1/2 wave stubs the same way by
leaving the far end open.
  GL, and 73, Dan, N5AR