FW: [TowerTalk] Blackened Shield on Belden Coax?

Paul Finch paulfinch@msn.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:44:45 -0500

Hello List,

After several years in the commercial Two-Way and Paging industry I have
seen this in almost all RG type coax cables.  I have even seen it in the
more expensive double-shield-silver plated RG-214 type coax.  I don't know
what causes it or what it is but it makes it really difficult to solder old
coax. I feel it has to be some kind of tarnish reaction to tinned copper,
copper or silver plating.

Question, what causes tarnish on copper and silver?  Could this be corrected
by Tarn-X as seen on TV, at least to get it to solder. Just a thought.

I also concur with the previous post that the blackened shield does not
cause performance problems with the coax.  I have several now with this
problem and no notable degradation, just a problem to solder to.
Paul
WB5IDM