[TowerTalk] aluminum tubing

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:12:26 -0600 (MDT)

Not having any choices (TT wouldn't ship to me) I found .065 (not .062)
6061 tubing at very good prices locally and have since bought 1000's of
feet. 1/2 inch tubing was well under 40 cents CAN/ft and even the 1 inch
size is still well under $1 _ I can send more exact prices if you need
them. Think it works out to be a little less the 3$ per lb. I used to buy
from Ideal Metals in Calgary, then they joined with Atlas Alloys to be
Atlas-Ideal Metals (or something like that). The tubing in my last order
came from Brantford ONT so you are a lot closer than I.

Drilling out the .065 to allow telescoping (4" overlap or so) is very easy
and generally find it a tap in place fit - SS screws to make sure. I have
no interest in ever taking apart an element.

To me, the 065 stuff is better/faster/cheaper (pick all three!!)  than the
058.  It seems amazing that hams, known for rational economic behaviour,
would wish to pay more for less.

73 Don
VE6JY

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Steve wrote:

> Hi George and the gang, I am looking for aluminum tubing for beams in
> the .058 wall size. The .062 wall size is available in the Toronto area
> for $3 Cnd. per pound. The .058 wall used to be available a few years
> back but I can't find any now in small or large quantities. The price
> Texas tower sells it for is $6 US per pound which works out to $9 Cnd.
> per pound plus shipping to Toronto. I would like to know if you have any
> sources for .058 wall tubing state side other than Texas Tower at lower
> price than they sell it for?
>
> tu es 73 Steve VE3TU
>

> --

VE6JY  Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca