[TowerTalk] Inverted L SWR High

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:01:57 -0500

Fb on your experiences Jack. Classic..... Here's what went wrong : the
original configuration had few radials and low SWR. That's because the
antenna impedance is really around 25 Ohms. With the poor radial system,the
high ground resistance (easily and other 25 Ohms)simply adds the antenna
resistance, bringing the total seen by the feedline very near 50 Ohms ( look
into "Low SWR for the Wrong Reasons" in the bible of antennas, Maxwell's
REFLECTIONS  pub. by ARRL.,,,if I understood everything in that one book
perfectly.....well maybe some day). Back to your situation, when you bought
Lance's excellent radial plate, and made a real antenna out of the "L", the
ground resistance went way down ( and the efficiency went up about 50%), BUT
the SWR went UP. The worms will curse you this winter. It'll be cold down
there in the ground again.

Hams dwell on SWR as a measure of antenna quality. Not so at all (in my
opinion).

Now for a real treat take that same antenna, and feed it at the top instead
of the bottom, and you have the K0FF upside down L. Play with the angle
against the tower but it must be steep.

My own 160 transmit antenna is an upside down L. top fed, 50 Ohm cable, no
choke, shortest possible length on the coax shield to the tower, Radiating
wire down to a post 10' high and 10' from the tower base, passing through a
big insulator the top of that pole, and kicked out horizontal at 10'
elevation to the end insulator and tied off to another post with a length of
rope. It takes longer to explain it than it does to make it and tune it.
No radials at all. No kidding.
I use the same thing on a shorter tower for 80M. (hint : the tower must be
resonant, it's the tower radiating not the wire)

Caution *extremely high voltages exists on the far end of any 1/4 wave
antenna.

Geo>K0FF
-30-

Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted L SWR High