[TowerTalk] Element to boom hardware

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:18:04 -0400

"Tom Hellem" <redpines@cybrzn.com> wrote:

>Hi folks:
>Would appreciate if someone out there would share their design for homebrew
>element to boom mounting hardware for HF yagi construction. Or, a suggestion
>on a place to purchase some ready made ones at reasonable price. Have a few
>ideas, but can't seem to come up with a design that is a good combination of
>strength and light weight.

IMO, it is very hard to beat a simple aluminum plate, say 6" x 12" x 1/4",
and 4 u-bolts with saddles.  It puts 2 wide spaced u-bolts on the boom which
provides a good deal of strength without needing to overtighten them. Hang
the elements UNDER the boom, and you'll have an antenna that is easy to install
and bullet proof.

>Would like to do away with the usual stainless
>steel u-bolts around the boom scenario, as they add considerable weight,
>especially in a many element situation.

Oops - forget what I said, I guess!  Duct tape WOULD be lighter.....

--
Steve K8LX