[TowerTalk] Making Stub Hardline connectors

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:31:39 -0400

> > One question remains.....
> >
> > I am a little queasy about the idea of splitting the aluminum shield of
> the
> > hardline and hoseclamping it to the PL259.  I am also not sure I like
> > the idea of having to shave off a lot of the center conductor so that it
> > will fit in the PL259 so that it can be soldered to the PL259.  Is there
> better
> > way to do this?

I use copper or brass pipe compression fittings.

I saw a wide notch in the internal ring (ferrule) so it easily
compresses without crushing the aluminum cable.

I use a fitting that just accepts a teflon double UHF female, and
slide the double female into the brass fitting and solder it before
putting the connector on the cable.

If the center doesn't fit the female, I run a tap over it and thread it
down to a tight fit.

No need to core the cable, no mechanical problems. Easy to
remove, easy to retighten. Lasts for years.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com