[TowerTalk] Connectors and $

Robert Shohet kq2m@mags.net
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:02:20 -0400

Mauri,

I am using these connectors to make many hardline "stubs" which will be
inside my shack NOT at the antenna.  There are many, many different types of
CATV hardline and the specific connectors are difficult to find.  They are
also quite expensive, often $25 or more and not readily available.  When you
plan to make 20 - 25 connectors for $2 apiece readily available vs. $25
apiece "lucky if you can find them", there is no contest, I would rather
build my own.

The extra $500 does matter to me, I would rather use it for other items that
I need or want.  My station is basically made up of used equipment and
homebrew other items.  I estimate that my frugality has probably saved me
about $20,000 on building my station and I don't think that my scores have
suffered much because of it.  (I buy all coax/rotor and control cables new
however).

I respect guys who want to pay top dollar for everything new or want to buy
everything rather than build it, but I would rather learn to how make and
fix stuff properly whenever possible, for the same reasons that I have
designed many of the antennas that I use.

73

Bob KQ2M