[TowerTalk] Your opinion on 40 mtr antenna

c penna clive@gm3poi.prestel.co.uk
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:23:14 -0000

Jim,
First your local terrain situation is important as to whether a yagi will
be very successful at a relatively low height. If you're surrounded by flat
land I would suggest its not going to work that much better than your
dipole, and the wave angle is going to be about 30 degrees. My choice would
be a stand alone 4SQ with 100 radials under each vertical. It will perform
very well and not have the mechanical problems of the yagi, you will have
instant direction changes and no need to worry about your present rotator
grade which might need upgrading.  My 4SQ is as above and seems to put out a
fair signal.
73 Clive GM3POI
-----Original Message-----
From: KF0FN@aol.com <KF0FN@aol.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: 25 September 2000 17:49
Subject: [TowerTalk] Your opinion on 40 mtr antenna

   I want to put up an antenna for 40 meters and would like some input from
some of you that have or have tried various antennas on 40.
Currently I have 60 ft of Rohn 45 with
A TH6 at 62'  This antenna works very well.
40 mtr dipole at 50' - Works well stateside but a dog for dx.
40 mtr halfsquare at 40' - not close to the dipole and broadside to Europe.-
Works, but not a barn burner.
80 mtr sloper at 60'  Works well
Shunt loaded tower on 160 that works well stateside

I want to take down the existing 40 meter antennas and perhaps put up a 2L
beam on that band.
I can only achieve about 6' of separation between the TH6 and the new 40
beam, and am concerned about interaction between the 2 antennas.
I looked into the ring rotors- that is not an option for me. I have been
trying to get info on them for over a year with no luck but after talking to
other hams that have them, the price is probably more than I am willing to
spend.
   One option would be one of the Force 12 C4XL. Looks good on 40 but the
gain figures show only slightly better gain than a 2 element on 10-15-20 and
I am not sure that I want to spend about $1K on an antenna with gain figures
that low on the higher  bands.
The C36 XR shows better gain but is out of my price range.
I am not a fan of Mosley and have owned only one.
I have had many Cushcraft antennas and still have the broken elements off
most of them. Wind here is just too much for Cushcraft.
I have plenty of room for a 4 square but would rather not.
I tried steerable slopers and they worked but not well.
Is there something else I should look at?
Or should I put 2 elements above the existing TH6 and if so which one will
give less interaction?

Your opinions will be very much appreciated. So far my best DX antenna on 40
is the 80 sloper...
Jim KDØS