[TowerTalk] Avoiding connectors.

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:18:05 -0600

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000  K3BU@aol.com writes:

> David K3BHJ wrote:
>
> > .... and then we read somewhere that some iconoclast VE1
> >  connects his hardline pieces together with ... WHAT???? cable
> clamps????
> and hose clamps???? ...

Most of my homemade hardline coax connectors,
including barrels and plumbing adapters, have failed
due to moisture penetration (OK, I did NOT seal them).

My original flexible coax to hardline splice (where the
coax is placed beside the hardline with the ends
pointed up, the center conductor of the coax wrapped
around the center conductor of the hardline and soldered,
and a ground lug soldered to the braid of the coax and
hose clamped to the shield of the hardline) is still
going strong after 20 YEARS.

For WX protection, a small plastic (medicine) bottle
is placed over the junction and taped in place with
the bottom open.  The tape also prevents uV damage
to the plastic.  NONE of my coax to hardline splices
have failed.   It is the most RELIABLE method I have
found for interfacing coax to hardline.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.