[TowerTalk] split locks vs star washers

Norman Hockler norsan@bright.net
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:27:12 -0400

Pete....  It is my understanding that the two washers you mentioned have
very different purposes.  A split washer is used as a device to keep the
nut/bolt tight.  It is used where vibration/heat/cooling would tend to
loosen the nut.  A star washer (inside or outside star) is used to provide
good electrical connection between the bolt/nut and the plate the bolt goes
through.

We are required to use star washers to meet the UL requirements for good
grounding and a lock washer is not acceptable for this purpose.

de Norm  N8NH