[TowerTalk] Fused disc hardline and center conductor/connector

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:01:28 -0400

> While preparing to start making stubs and attach them to the connectors, I
> noticed that the I need to significantly reduce the diameter of the 3/4"
> fused disc hardline center conductor in order for it to fit within the
> PL258 "middle".
>
> On this particular hardline, the CC is copper coated, so when you remove
> the top part you are back to what I think is aluminum inside.  Aside from
> making it tougher to solder to the pl258 with a torch, is there any
> problem with this?,

I have a $39 tap and die set.

I always run a threading die over the center, to reduce the size. I
start with one that just fits, and work my way smaller until the
center conductor just tightly fits the center of the barrel.

By alternating between between coarse and fine threads, you get a
knurled finish.

I have never worried about the fact aluminum contacts the
connector, other than giving it a light coating of pure silicon
dielectric grease.

If you are worried about dissimilar metals, take a hunk of cable to
Hobby Center and look at the brass tubing for model building. Find
a size that just fits over the center, and then solder it to the center.
Then you can solder a small piece of solid copper wire (as I recall
number eight works) into the brass, and let that fit the connector.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com