[TowerTalk] Johsnon Match Box Defense

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:36:53 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/00 11:23:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
n7ws@azstarnet.com writes:<<
 At 01:30 PM 9/26/00 EDT, Dinsterdog@aol.com wrote:

 >I'm confused by all this "insert here" emails between W8JIP (sic) and
 K7GCO- Can
 >some one please send me the desk top version on disk- Perhaps someone could
 >put Bobby "MFJ" Knight's comments in blue and Bulldog K7GCO's in red- I've
 >printed out close to 15 pages just between their postings on open wire line
 >vs coax etc.............not to mention some very creative email sent to me
 >personally from Tom himself- which of course I've shared with others-
 Anyhow,
 >can any one please tell me objectively what it all means in 50 words or
 less?

 >Something like:
 >
 >For short runs, applying certain types of 50 ohm coax through your trusty
 MFJ tuner provides a convenient means to get the signal to the antenna.  For
 long runs, low loss 75 ohm open wire feedline is an alternative when
properly
 >applied"
 >
 >I don't know, I just have to give the edge of this 15 rounder to K7GCO-
 Lets see, a MFJ design engineer vs a guy with 60 years of professional radio
 >experience-
 >
 >73  Paul

 Why are you asking for an "objective" explanation, your mind seems to
 already be made up.  "...MFJ design engineer (sic) vs a guy with 60 years
 of professional radio experience..."

 However, I agree that the ramblings from K7GCO suffer from severe topic
 drift.  This started when I addressed the *potential* problem of using long
 lengths of *coax* cut to 1/2 wavelength multiples.

 The messages now include rants about coax v. open-wire line, fixed output
 impedance amplifiers v. pi-networks, and Johnson Matchboxes v. __________
 (your topic here).

 "Nonsense" indeed.

 Regards,

 Wes Stewart, N7WS

No Nonsense Wes, if you dig a little deeper there was a reason for the so
called rambling in this case.  "The "change of subjects" was in the "original
post" of w8ji I was addressing."  Not Guilty!   I'll admit should have
perhaps divided the answer into 2 posts.  I should like to point out very
clearly that pften I have often presented data in the normal way and then
defending it any way necessary (when necessary) Basic Concepts of Theory 101
and "Successful RF Tranfer Practices" is not ranting but good reporting.  I
have presented all my suggestions and results of my findings in mostly fairly
short Posts--some longer as to what I thought was needed since it was new.
This was frequently nit picked on and on with demands for more info which I
supplied.  That is the factor that extended the length of some of the posts
longer and longer.  When basic fundamentals, proven concepts and credibility
are literally attacked and only by one person all the time--you will get a
substantial response from me.  I have the guts to defend wha't right--many
don't.

Your report was very good but a "worst case senierio".  I tried to up date it
with better ways to handle the frequency change from Phone to CW for a lower
average SWR with techniques I used in the past that anyone can use--now.
Others are reporting ther success with it on it now.  !/2 wave multiples are
not a cure all but reduce variables with coax.  !/4 & 1/2 wave feedlines are
total necssities with open wire line.  When combined with other techniques
which I reported, some interesting concepts imerge.  Not everyone can
understand them in particular without trying them and they can get a bad
press.  I will work with them "until they get it right" even without my usual
consulting fee.

The reasons I covered Match Boxes and other tuners was they were specifially
attacked as being unable to match typical Hi-Z's and "Absolutely Nothing
Could Be Further From The Truth."  I felt compelled to defend the Honor of my
favorite tuner--The Johnson  Match Box (may it live for ever) and the rest of
us who know how to twiddle the 2 knobs for the proper results.  I wish I
could show the pictures of my tuners with RF ammeters (and other RF
indicators like shunted bulbs) in the output, even in the input link and all
the home made variations I have.  When someone degrades the MB I know they
don't know how to use it, don't have one or it has a problem.  That is why I
suggested a complete overhaul for all of them as they are at least 50 years
old.  It takes more space but the E-mails I got from those who followed
instructions, found problems, corrected them and have proper operation
clearly illustrates the extra information was very worthwhile.  After 60
years of reporting concepts that work and now FREE OF CHARGE ON TT, I don't
think I have to justify supporting data I felt necessary even for me to
understand how it worked.  It also reduces the amount of E-mails I have to
answer with more details which takes my time and energies--not yours.  I used
to get paid for this. You have a delete buttom which works quicker than it
takes me to answer another E-mail.  If you have any questions I'd be happy to
answer them free of charge.

There are those who are making a file of all my Posts for reference and
future review.  I kept your post also.  I intend to run a field strength test
on 10M (Phone to CW) of your "Worst Case Seniero", the ones I suggested and
have used in the past.  I leave no stones unturned.  My goal is simple.  "Use
the Best System Possible"--whenever possible, defend good equipment, proven
Antenna Systems like Open Wire Line and Tuners and Basic Fundamenatals.  If
there is anything else unclear about the post in question, feel free to ask.
The original Post I followed was not mine.  Please adjust critical coments
accordingly in the future.

>From out if the West the "Lone Defender Riding My Silver Plated Horse Vector
and Wearing an Armoured Abestos Suit with Mask, Shield and a Cloud of RF
Dust," I seem to be the only one in Ham Radio Illustrating New and Better
Techniques and Defending Open Wire and Tuners.  It's a tough row to hoe.  I
can get this material along with good pictures printed in mags, get paid for
it and without all kinds of Arrows and Spears.  That sounds like a better way
to ride.  k7gco