[TowerTalk] windload rating of triex LM470e tower to be independently ver...

Tower2sell@aol.com Tower2sell@aol.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:56:54 EDT

In a message dated Wed, 27 Sep 2000  5:32:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Chanel1096 writes:

<< In a message dated 9/27/00 2:35:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tower2sell@aol.com writes:

> The EIA-222 has been incorporated into most building codes with only a few
> exceptions. If you look at the UBC for example, it states that the EIA-222 is
> an accepted national standard that can be used. The EIA-222 rev F has
> eliminated the Class A, B, C... (The proposed revison G may have something
> similar) The main problem it that many plan checkers are not familar with the
> EIA-222.

To the best of my knowledge exposure classes have never existed in the EIA code.  The wind loading for Rev. F is the same as in Rev. D   The old Rev. C had Wind loading zones A,B, & C but these had nothing to do with exposure and were just a way of approximating wind pressure based on velocity.  The big difference that is expected in Rev. F is going to be the change from ASD to LRFD as a design basis, which will eliminate the 1/3 increase for wind loads by having the whole system switched to Factored Load.

You are correct, but there are several supprises instore for Rev "G". One of them is terrain such as escarpments factors. Ice load charts is another one. The good news is that most will not apply to Ham radios.

Tower2sell@aol.com