[TowerTalk] DCU-1 problems

Dick Green dick.green@valley.net
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:13:42 -0400

Henry,

I have DCU-1 and calibration worked flawlessly for two years. Then recently
I had a problem very similar to yours -- the calibration would stop
prematurely. After fooling around with it for a while, I was able to
calibrate correctly. I don't really know what I did to make it work.

I think the problem occurs when the CPU gets confused during the calibration
process. That might have happened by stopping it during calibration or
entering a "middle of rotation" heading that doesn't make sense.

I think there's a way to reset the CPU: the DCU-1 has a time limit on how
long calibration and preset info can be held in memory after power is
removed (I think they just use a capacitor to maintain the settings for a
few minutes if you lose power or unplug it briefly.) My advice is to unplug
the unit and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight would be better.)
That should wipe out any garbage in memory and hopefully the unit will be at
factory default state. Then try the calibration again.

Good luck & 73,
Dick WC1M