[TowerTalk] guy wire clearance

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:11:54 -0400

Hi Bruce,
Definitely an important calculation! I'm not aware of a formula, but it
is a simple geometirc calculation using similar triangles. I really
can't do formulas or draw diagrams on e-mail, so let me explain.
Here's what you want to do:
You are setting up two ratios,
Height of guy wire above ground = y
Distance from tower base to guy wire or anchor entering ground = x
Distance from tower to guy wire at height of antenna = a
Distance from antenna to guy wire attachment on tower (which is
the height of guy wire above ground minus the hieght of the
antenna on tower) = b
Now, x over y = a over b. Solve for 'a' which = x times b divided by
a.
'a' is the key number. You want the turning radius to be less than
this. Don't forget to account for any horiz offset from tower by
sidearms, width of tower section, etc.
Do the calculation at least 3 times to make sure it's correct.

Personally, I made sure there was at least 3 feet of clearance, to
acount for any mis-measuring, guy wire droop, and general fudge
factors.
Hope this helps.
73,
Barry