[TowerTalk] guyed tower reference?

Gary McDuffie, Sr. ag0n@arrl.net
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 07:34:31 -0600

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 06:46:34 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> Crumpling may apply to VERY TALL towers like the
> 1000 footers used by TV stations under SOME conditions.
> I've NEVER seen it happen to Rohn Ham towers.
> When the guys or guy anchors fail,
> THEY FALL OVER, STRAIGHT OUT to their FULL HEIGHT.

Again, I'm no structural engineer, but I would think that falling
straight out would be indication of an abnormal situation.  It seems
that if it were properly guyed (with proper strength guys at each
point), it would fold, because the remaining guys would pull toward the
center.  On the other hand, if a complete anchor failed, it's going to
have a tendency to lay over full length.

Gary

ag0n at arrl dot net
http colon slash slash mcduffie dot ws