[TowerTalk] 40 -2cd

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:00:50 -0400

Marc,

My Cushcraft 402CD seems to load on 160 meters through a tuner.  Its almost
as good as my L or Multee on transmit.   It is up 86.5 feet.
What I assume is that the coax is loading and the 402CD is acting as a top
hat.   You don't say if the 24 meter height was on the same tower, but
putting the 402CD on a tower that is fed for 160 (either Shunt or N4KG
style) could cause a problem.   That is one reason (I have others) for not
using my tower for a vertical.   However if you have 1.5 SWR as the low and
less than 2 at the top and bottom of the band then you are probably OK.
Mine is set for 7150 but I have lost one of the capacity hats on the
reflector so my SWR has moved up band.  I now have 1.3 (min SWR)  at 7190.
I get 1.6 at 7299 and 2.2 at 7001.   With the capacity hat I had 1.2 at 7150
and 1.8 at 7299 and 1.9 at 7001.   The question is what is your front to
back or front to side now compared to 24 meters?

I also use mine on 17 meters (I need 8 more there for all DXCC) and have
used it on 12 meters (K1MM gave me the hint 10 years ago).
I find that on 12 meters the pattern is some type of cloverleaf so its
either great or in a null.

73 Dave K4JRB

http://www.anwireless.com

> -----