[TowerTalk] 40 -2cd

Frank Norton KB8XU franknorton@home.com
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:15:30 -0400

At 03:24 PM 8/14/2001 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi folks.
>
>It's up again on the tower my 40-2cd.But i don't see any dip anymore.
>At 24m high it wass all ok.Just a dip on 7050.0 (swr 1.1)so very good.
>a moved it to the top at 28m.Now there is no dip anymore .at 7050 the lowest
>is 1.5 and going to 1.8- 2.0 at the lower or higher end.>SNIP<
>Shoud a take it down and tweeking the elements ?
>or is it just normal with this one ?
>
>Marc - on4ma
>73

Hi Marc,

It looks like u have a good dip, as well as full band coverage--very
nice!  To perhaps shed some light on the 1.5 minimum SWR you might review
characteristics of a center fed dipole in the "Antenna Book" from the
ARRL.  The 40-2cd being a dipole with a director should demonstrate very
similar behavior to the dipole alone.  The characteristic impedance, both
resistive and reactive components, are essentially the same as the dipole
alone.

Long story very short--1.45:1 is the best SWR one should see on a center
fed dipole UNLESS u play a matching trick and place an inductance across
the feed point of the dipole.  On 40 meters I would use 10 turns of #14
solid copper with turn diameter of about 2.5 to 3 inches.  Surprisingly
u'll need 8-9 feet of wire for this (I wind around a short section of PVC
pipe but u can use any round form u can find, even a can since the form
won't be staying in the coil.)  Once u make the coil I would make sure the
solder lugs are solid to run full power and space the turns about 1 inch
apart to begin with.  u may need to compress or separate the coils somewhat
if u want a perfect match to 50 ohm cable but this will do quite well as
is.  The only other point to remember is be sure and have the coil extend
opposite the feedline balun.  (by the way, a 1:1 SWR may make u feel
better, but all this work will only gain u about 5% improved power transfer).

Please note:  If u already have ur antenna up on the tower and if it is at
all difficult to get at--I would leave it as is and enjoy....from ur
description u have a well matched 40 meter beam.

73 es enjoy! de Frank kb8xu

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----