[TowerTalk] Fwd: KYTV, Channel 3 - Springfield, MO - Television tower top...

antipode antipode@ne.mediaone.net
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:11:29 -0800

While I'm not a tower engineer, I do remember visiting the Cedar Hill
tower complex southwest of Dallas around 1963/64.  On the property they
had an old TV transmitting antenna with its associated support mast
sitting horizontal on some massive wooden support "horses" (RR ties
probably).  I can assure all of the doubting Thomases here on the
reflector that these assemblies do indeed weigh many TONS.  The mast
alone was about 100 feet long, about 15 inches in diameter, with a wall
thickness of about an inch!  TV transmitting antennas/towers are massive
structures rivaling any large skyscraper in size and complexity.

Bill Sievers
W5IQJ

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/5/01 10:17:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> k1xt@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > I didn't think anyone would believe the ten or twenty tons.
>
>     Really? Ever been around one? Climbed one? Our local TV stations have
> 500' towers with 100' antennas on the top and they're all industrial
> strength.
>
> >  One thing is for sure, there is always someone out there trying to one up
> a comment.
>
>     Always? I see clarifications and additional information presented -
> no one-upmanship there.
>
>     TowerTalk is not an ego-driven reflector (like some are - i.e. the Amps
> reflector). The only thing you get is answers to your questions. (Well,
> mostly anyway - hi.)
>
> >  It's no wonder that the guys who really know their stuff stay away from
> >  these reflectors.
>
>     Huh? Gary, the poster, is a commercial broadcast engineer. Others of us
> that "really know their stuff" as professionals in our particular fields many
> times add the specific information that most hams don't know about when it
> comes to TowerTalk topics. Structural and electrical engineers, electricians,
> antenna designers, and professional tower riggers are some of the most
> valuable TowerTalkians and they add perspective and credibility to tower and
> HF antenna construction discussions.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> Professional tower guy