[TowerTalk] VE3BMV Razor beams

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:21:54 -0500

Hi Dave,

This reminds me of discussing the addition of deer whistles on the
front bumper with my wife.

She insisted on deer whistles, and so I filled two with glue  and put
them on her bumpers. The first words out of her mouth after I did
that were "you should see the deer turn around now when the hear
the whistles".

> I can only speak from seeing the results of the K3BU(VE3BMV) Razor
> beams. Yuri blew away the competition on the single band he selected
> to compete in the CQ WW 20 years ago.   The razor beam is a Quagi on a
> long boom. Yuri put these up special for the contest.   I can attest
> to the problems involved as in 1970 CQ WPX SSB I used a 7 el 10 meter
> beam from the first issue of Ham radio magazine.  With the beam at 70'
> I was the only stateside signal into Northern EU for hours on end
> (quoting SM5BLA).  I put the beam up just for the contest...and its
> work especially if doing alone as Yuri did.

>From that we can conclude Yuri did some work.

> I'll bet his razor beams (Quagi) had outstanding gain for the boom
> length.

I bet on longshots on occasion also Dave, but I wouldn't place the
same bet as you in this case. I'd want at least some very remote
chance I could win.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com