[TowerTalk] 2 radios & Stacked Tri-banders??

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:54:40 -0000

Hi Dan,
I went through a series of similar questions a few years ago.
I started with 2 TH7s at 40 and 76 ft phased with a DX Engineering
phase box. I wanted to enable the station for SO2R, but didn't want
to split the stack, as it is an excellent performer.

I looked into replacing the TH7s with C31XRs and use separate
feeds. At the time I looked into it, F12 alluded to the possibility of
using a single C31XR in SO2R, but had nobody that had done it. I
wanted to make sure that while using one C31XR on 2 bands/2
radios would not fry one or both radios with excessive field
strength. F12 was not able to give me firm numbers on the field
strength between bands (for example, if on 20m, how much RF is
seen at the PL259 on 10 or 15). For that reason, I ruled out the
C31XRs.

I put up a Hygain DX-77 40-10m vertical abt 200 ft from the tower. It
was in the clear, mounted 10 ft above ground. It was a terrible
antenna (though better than a neighbor's Butternut, when we did
head to head comparisons). The SWR was fine, but I couldn't work
anything on it (in a contest, that is). Even on the WARC bands
(which it supposedly covers), my 40m beam and 80m slopers
worked better than it.

After doing a lot of modeling with EZNEC, my final solution was
adding a third TH7 at 22 ft on the same tower, on a separate
feedline.  There was no advantage on any band to phase it with the
top two, if using one radio, and interactions were minimal. I also
modeled the C31XR in place of the TH7, and interactions were
terrible.  The TH7 at 22 ft was an average of 6 S-units better than
the vertical into Europe! If you want to see some pics, go to
http://www.ticgen.com/NT/gallery/ticphotos.htm

In your case, I believe 50 ft spacing is too far apart for phasing,
except maybe on 20m. If you can space them closer, you could
phase them with Stackmatch with the second feedline option, and
split them between radios when needed. Otherwise, if 50 ft apart,
put separate feedlines on them, one for each radio. You definitely
will need stubs and/or bandpass filters in either case (I have both
here).

Let us know what you wind up doing.

73,
Barry W2UP