[TowerTalk] Ropes

Mel Farrer mfarrer@tality.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:11:51 -0700

Side note on cordage and rope.  I have found Pelican Rope Works has many
types of material.  I got a quote of $100 for a 1000 foot role of 1/4 "
polyester 12 strand braided.  Average tensile strength of 2,200 lbs.  Many
different types of rope and many sizes.  The 1/4" is not good for climbing
maybe, but a helleva price for UV stable rope.  BTW, 4000 ft is $85/1000.
http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/usrigging/

-----Original Message-----
From: K7LXC@aol.com [mailto:K7LXC@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 9:58 AM
To: w2fca@qsl.net; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ropes

In a message dated 7/11/01 7:19:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w2fca@qsl.net
writes:

> I believe there are static and dynamic climbing ropes. I have a bunch of
>  dynamic ropes that I have used for rock climbing and I've also used them
for
>  working on my roof. They do have some give to them. For tower work,
though,
>  I stick to an arressting lanyard. As good a job I may think I can do on
>  knots, I'd rather trust something made for the specific purpose of
>  tower/scaffold type work.

    Actually static and dynamic can be the same rope. The static and dynamic

have to do with testing and load application. Climbing ropes need to catch a

falling object (a REAL dynamic load!) whereas tower ropes have static loads
are just used for hauling. The tests and ratings are entirely different.

    The rope materials are probably the same - synthetic fibers like nylon
or
dacron.

    BTW I just saw some 3/8" braid-on-braid rope at Home Depot for something

like ten feet for ten bucks. It's not quite long enough for a tower rope and

it's a little small for hand-hauling but if you've got an application for
it,
it's a helluva price and value.

    The braid-on-braid (or kernmantle) type rope is THE BEST in terms of
abrasion resistance plus UV doesn't penetrate the outer sheath so it isn't
subject to UV breakdown like other ropes. My 250 feet of braid-on-braid
yachting rope has over 600 days of use on it; figure 4 or 5 or more lifts
per
day and you've got a WELL USED rope. It's in very good condition and I
continue to use it.

Cheers,     Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us