[TowerTalk] Wood posts

Frank Norton franknorton@home.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:05:00 -0400

In the state of Michigan there is a grade of pressure treated lumber that
is commonly used for the construction of basements and submerged
structures.  This requires a 30 year lifespan in direct contact with soil,
water, or atmospheric change such as freezing, rain and all other
"normally" expected stressors.  It does not have to withstand certain
pressure stresses outside the range of "normal" (whatever that
is).  Counties are allowed to have more restrictive codes but this is very
common.

Most lumber yards also stock a much cheaper wood that has the same greenish
tint but is not really pressure treated, Hence certain specifications that
must be met for basement/foundation usage. Even the cheaper material is
used for fences that are in far beyond ten years.

Hope this helps.

Frank, KB8XU

-----