[TowerTalk] Cold Galvanizing Spray

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:38:22 -0400

Jim,

First of all, adding cold galv to galvanized steel is not necessary.  No
further protection should be added to galvanized steel.

Secondly, what products are you using?

When repairing old galvanizing, I use a product called: Brite Zinc.  (refer
to the "vendors" link on my Website.)

When adding a zinc coating to *raw* steel, like a mast, or a new diagonal or
horizontal steel member on a tower, I first sand the steel, remove all
oil/grease, then spray two coats of Aviation Zinc Chromate Primer, A7 6889 A
Green, (Tempo Products Company, Solon, OH), then two coats of Brite Zinc.
This combination has worked very well for me.

BTW, Tempo does not have their Aviation products on their Website and I have
sent them a query about the Zinc Chromate spray.  I'll post their response.

Bill, N3RR
www.erols.com/n3rr

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of JClymerjr@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 11:36 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cold Galvanizing Spray

I am intrigued by the glowing TT comments regarding cold galvanizing spray.
Since my experience is so much to the contrary, I must be “Ralphing
up” the process somehow. I’m hoping someone here can correct the
error of my ways.

I have tried 3 different brands. I have enthusiastically read all the promo
stuff: “Rich with self-sacrificing zinc, creating a durable bond,
etc., etc.”

I have applied the spray paint directly over clean, existing galvanized
steel. I have applied it to new, buffed (with steel wool, and/or emery
cloth) steel, and to chemically etched, new steel. I have allowed it to
“cure” for 12 weeks. I have yet to achieve what I would consider
a “bond.” To wit: the paint can be scraped off down to original
surface with the slightest effort. In fact I can even rub it off with a
callus on my thumb!

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jim - WS6X