[TowerTalk] Trylon Tower update

EUGENE SMAR SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:02:38 -0400

TT:

     I laid out the guide strings for the foundation today.  (Good thing I
watched the Discovery Channel's episode on how the Egyptians laid out the
pyramids!)  Then I rented a post-hole digger with an eight-inch bit and
spent the late afternoon and evening drilling holes in the hard clay soil
between the guide strings down to about three and a half feet or so.  Next
time I might just use a digging bar (here's a thought - pay some one to dig
with a backhoe!)  Tomorrow afternoon will be spent shoveling the soil out of
the hole; day after will be more of the same.  Probably won't start the last
foot and a half of depth until Saturday.

     Don't worry - I won't bore you with daily updates, just when I reach
major milestones (like setting the form atop the hole and assembling the
tower base on top of it.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  I'll write a summary of my readings on antenna windloading tomorrow.
Suffice it to say for this evening that I'm not going to take the
manufacturers' word on the area their designs present to the wind.  I'll
calculate it for myself, based on antenna dimensions contained in the
assembly manuals.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>