[TowerTalk] log periodic antennas

Thor Hallen thorh@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:09:26 -0700

The log periodic design in the ARRL Antenna Handbook is not one that I would
recommend. I have made comparisons with another local ham working common DX
stations simultaneously and concluded that the Tennadyne T6 with a 12 foot
boom performs at least as well as the C3SS that it replaced with a 12 foot
boom on 20, 15 and 10 meters and is superior on 12 and 17 meters. It is also
nice to be able to operate on the MARS net frequencies outside the amateur
bands and have good SWL reception for things like WWV. As a bonus, the T6
also performs quite well on 6 meters. The versatility is well worth a small
loss in directivity to me. Also, I have CC&R antenna restrictions and was
pleased that people have commenting that "the new antenna is much more
attractive than the old one".

Thor Hallen K5AGE

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Phil Duff
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 4:09 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] log periodic antennas

I've been curious about log periodics myself.

The ARRL Antenna Handbook 17th Ed. has a 5 band (13-30mhz) design on a
26 ft boom with 12 elements.

The article text on pg 10-10 states in part:  "...this is a large array....
with the same gain
one would expect with a full size two-element Yagi array:"

I acknowledge the benefits of the LP including bandwidth, feed impedance,
etc.
but for a 26 ft boom and 12 elements I'd hoped for more than 2-element
Yagi performance.

73 Phil NA4M

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">