[TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 07:46:06 -0700

Tom Rauch wrote:

> I don't know what kind of welding wire he uses, but hopefully it is
> not the steel wire! Normal welding wire for welding ferrous metals
> will rust and start to disappear in a very short time when used
> outdoors.
>
> If it is for aluminum welding, it probably would be too soft. It would
> break easily, and you'd have a tough time making reliable
> connections. I avoid aluminum electric fence wire for that reason.

It is aluminum, and quite strong.  It does not stretch noticeably (like
soft-drawn copper).  The original poster exaggerated the difficulty of
installation; you just have to avoid kinking it, as you do with any kind of
wire.  It isn't necessary to stretch it before installation; you just tension it
by adjusting the location of the clamps on the spreaders.

I've had a Lightning Bolt quad up for several years now with no problems.
During the first installation attempt, it fell into a tree.  The wire did not
break (although I had to cut some of it to get it out of the tree).

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,