[TowerTalk] Quad Question(s)

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 12:27:52 -0400

Hi Vic,

> It is aluminum, and quite strong.  It does not stretch noticeably
> (like soft-drawn copper).  The original poster exaggerated the
> difficulty of installation; you just have to avoid kinking it, as you
> do with any kind of wire.  It isn't necessary to stretch it before
> installation; you just tension it by adjusting the location of the
> clamps on the spreaders.

Well I guess "strong" or "weak" are subjective terms, and not
describing what the problem really is.

Let's be serious here, the wire isn't a major part of the cost of the
antenna. Why not use wire that can be soldered, and also be
flexed over and over without cracking!

Why not use a wire without dissimilar metal problems...especially
when it is the metal that "vanishes"?

I'd bet almost zero quad wires fail from exceeding tension limits of
the wires, and most fail from flexing at joints.

IMO, using aluminum wire is a pain in the keester and certainly
does nothing good for the life of the antenna.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com